Sunday, April 1, 2012

Zoo Photography: Eastern Screech Owl

All owls are fascinating creatures to me but the eastern screech owl is even more so. For starters, it's really small, which makes me wonder how it survives as a predator. While watching one of them at the zoo today, I got a chance to see these creatures' predatory nature.

As I was talking to the keeper about another one of the animals, a house sparrow flew nearby collecting duck down feathers. All of a sudden she perked up, raised her pointed ear tufts, and her attention intensely focused on the sparrow.

Here it is giving me the mean look moments before the house sparrow made its appearance.

And here it is intently sizing up the sparrow. 
Did you know: Nestling Screech-owls fight fiercely among themselves for food, and sometimes even kill and eat their smallest sibling. (from http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Screech-owl/lifehistory)

No comments:

Post a Comment