Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sunset Photography

After spending almost two days indoors doing work, I decided to take my gear and walk around Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood. However, I didn't see any good opportunities to shoot, so I headed to the inner harbor and Federal hill hoping today would offer a beautiful sunset. Spring and summer sunsets are colorful in Baltimore and I haven't had an opportunity to shoot them the past few days when the days have been clear with little clouds.
I wasn't disappointed. This was one of those orange-yellow sunsets that completely inundated the cloudless sky. Since I had decided not to bring my tripod, I had to shoot at ISO 800. I also wanted to create a silhouette with the Ravens stadium so I used a 300mm lens. I underexposed by about 1/3 of a stop.

On the imageabove, I included an out-of-focus tree in the foreground to balance out the left side and add a little something to the picture.
 As I always shoot RAW, I had to adjust contrast, sharpening and noise reduction, but I didn't increase vibrance or saturation. The sky really was that orange. I then cropped the image to 1x3 aspect.

Overall, glad I headed out and worked on my sunset photography rather than sticking indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment