Thursday, March 8, 2012

Good-Bye, Sophie

I believe all of life is connected and communicates through energy, both good and bad. Whenever I visit zoos to take pictures, I always ask the animals to give me good shots and make sure to thank them afterwards. I believe animals know and understand our intentions, and this transcends whichever language we might use to communicate with them. My mom is also like me in this manner as she tenderly addresses animals in Russian. I jokingly tell her these animals don't speak Russian, but I know they understand in their own way. Sophie, the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore's snowy owl was one of the animals I made sure to talk to on my visits.

I actually never got to take many pictures of her, as I was still studying the best way to shoot her exhibit, but I always stopped by to say hi and ask if she could give me good shot opportunities. She flew once but I was too slow to take the picture. She gave me other opportunities for good images but I always held out hope that she would fly for me again, but today the zoo announced she had passed away over the weekend. Complications from medical care.

Good-bye, Sophie, we'll get those pictures in the life after. Til then!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment