Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Zoo Photography: Flamingos

Few birds are as attractive to zoo-goers as flamingos. They're large, pretty, weird, and just so alluring. They're also fun to photograph.
While the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, my local zoo, has them, they're not available for visitor viewing. To see them I have to drive to the National Zoo in Washington, DC, which is about an hour's drive from where I live. Due to this, I haven't been able to go as many times as I would like to try different shooting techniques on them.

There are several problems that I ran into while shooting the National Zoo's flamingos. The first was that the bright, undiffused sunlight reflects harshly off the bird's feathers. It's like shooting a bright flower in bright sunlight, you lose detail in the subject.
The second issue was the dark shadow background in the flamingos' exhibit. This might actually have helped mask the unnatural environment, but it created a very contrasting image, not to mention playing tricks on the camera's sensor.
I will have to go photography them on a cloudy day to see if it makes any difference. Normally, I prefer to shoot bright animals, especially birds, on cloudy days because you are able to get details in the feathers. I would also like to see if shooting at f/8 instead of f/5.6 would make a difference in the final images.
It will take some time to figure all this out for myself as I only go to the National Zoo about once a month, compared to 3-4 trips a month I make to the Maryland Zoo, so I would love to hear from those who have mastered photographing these beautiful birds, and those who have run into other issues photographing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment