Sunday, February 19, 2012

Zoo Photography: Animal-Human Interactions

Most, if not all, zoos have some type of human-animal interactions that are good photo opportunities. These include animal rides, petting, feeding, and others. The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore has a giraffe-feeding station that presents great shots if timed right.

On one of my recent visits to the zoo, I reached the feeding station just as a young child was asking her parents if she could feed the giraffe. Being that I had a 300mm lens on the camera, I was still trying to position myself right when she fed the giraffe. The images I got either showed hers or the giraffe's face, but not both. I wanted to show the relationship between the two and I felt I didn't really show it with any of the pics. 

Luckily, she asked if she could do it again, and this allowed me to capture the image I wanted. 


While this showed both the giraffe and the child, an image from her first feeding attempt is actually my favorite. 


Humans shouldn't always be excluded from your zoo photographs. They can add a little flavor to your shots. Kids are great because their faces really show genuine wonder and bliss at witnessing and/or interacting with animals. Shoot kids petting sheep, riding ponies or camels, or just watching animals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment