Monday, February 20, 2012

Shots From Today's Zoo Visit

Having been unable to visit the zoo over the weekend, a sunny Monday was all the motivation I needed to head over there and see the animals. I have always had a love for animals since my young days, and visiting them at the zoo is an opportunity to increase my knowledge about them and meditate a little. 

Since it was Presidents Day and many people were off, the place was teeming with families, which meant having to steer clear of strollers and little running forms more suited for the demolition derby than the zoo's pathways. I still managed to see most of the animals, including some of my favorite ones. Here are the pics below. 


This time I photographed giraffe-feeding from downhill, having a different aspect from before.


To me, the sitatunga is a fascinating animal. I was completely unaware of them until recently even though I was a wildlife buff and lived in many countries where they're found as a kid. For some reason, only the females venture close to the pathway while the male remains near a chain-link fence that doesn't allow for a good photo.
When chased by predators, these swamp antelopes can hide submerged with only their noses showing.


This is Cactus, a Harris Hawk, one of the zoo's animal ambassadors. First time encountering him. Every time I go to the zoo on a nice day I meet at least one. They're easy to photography because they are not in enclosures and are used to being close to people.


The polar bear was out today but he was foaming at the mouth. Don't know if it's because he was angry at the crowds, because of his dental problems, or for another reason. Either way, I'm sure he's not too happy about missing snow this winter.


There are three arctic foxes at the zoo and she is by far my favorite one. She's little and is bullied by the male in the same enclosure, but she's just a snuggie furry ball. When I got there she moved from a log where she was sleeping and went in an open space that was much better to photography. Though I've been to the zoo multiple times before and always pass by this exhibit, this is the first time I've shot her without obstructions.


This is the friendliest animal- to me- at the zoo. A cotswold sheep, it will come to be petted soon as you approach the sheep pen in the Farmyard area. I have had all three take turns at being petted and push each other out of the way every few seconds or so. With farmyard animals, you don't have to isolate them because no one will really believe they're wild. You can show fences and barns to put them in a familiar environment.
You have to be careful petting animals as they can bite or hurt you. And just because they're farm animals doesn't mean you can feed them. The zoo has strict, measured diets for them.


One of the two Miniature Mediterranean Donkeys at the zoo. These guys are also a lot of fun to observe and shoot. They'll play with each other and appreciate a rub as much as the sheep. Always remember to wash your hands with soap after petting animals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment